top of page

Air Cooling vs Oil Cooling vs Water Cooling

Internal Combustion engines are only about 30% efficient, that is, only 30% of the energy to put as fuel is actually converted into mechanical energy used to propel your motorcycle. That leaves out 70% of the energy to be wasted as heat & noise and that is a lot of energy to dissipate. The best of the best engines has an efficiency of 49% till date (in Formula 1). That wasted heat can quickly become a problem for the engine if not dealt with accordingly. The engine itself works at its maximum efficiency within a narrow band of temperatures. Engineers have designed ways to evacuted that heat from the engine, through 1.air cooling, 2.oil cooling and 3.water cooling /Liquid cooling.

Air Cooling Among these systems, air cooling tend to be less efficient as it is passive system that relies on the air temperature to take away the heat through carefully designed fins on the engine. This type of cooling relies heavily on the ambient environment temperature to regulate its own temperature. However this system is the cheapest to produce and generally have the less specific output for comparable capacity engines. The engine can quickly overheat if not supplied with cooler air. Oil Cooling This is the intermediate option which is deployed to keep engine temperature in check. In addition to adoption of air cooling as discussed above, this method also makes use of an oil cooler which cools down the temperature of the engine oil. The engine oil which is circulated within the engine when its running absorbs the heat generated inside and dissipate the heat through an oil cooler outside the engine. However even if this system works, it not the best in terms of engine cooling. Liquid Cooling Liquid Cooled engine is the most efficient cooling system we have for engines. It circulates a liquid around the cylinder of the engine with heats up the liquid, and the heat is then dissipated in the atmosphere through the radiator. The radiator is also often equipped with a fan which can activate to draw more air through the radiator and accelerates the cooling rate of the engine. This system can maintain an engine at its operating temperature no matter the outside temperature. A combination of thermostatic valve and electric fan allows the engine to stay within the narrow optimum temperature. Additionally, the engine can be built with tigher tolerances, allowing for higher power output and less polluting that other types of cooling. This method allows the engine to perform reliably and at an ideal operating temperature during all conditions, especially when it has to operate in stressful conditions for longer durations. It should be noted that Liquid Cooled are more costly to built however at VOGE we still maintain a very competitive price for our liquid cooled motorcycles.

1,312 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All
bottom of page